September 25, 2011
I have been a c-pap user probably for at least 5 or 6 years. What a difference it has made in helping me get a good night’s sleep! I have severe sleep apnea and that requires a high amount of air pressure to be effective. Due to this, a large face mask was required. I also have delicate skin and was getting “sore” spots on my skin from the mask.
I consulted both my dermatologist and a my pulmonary specialist here in Petoskey, Michigan. At the Sleep Center itself was an advertisement that a different kind of appliance could be made and might prove to be effective. I made an appointment with Dr. Reginald Whitcomb to learn about it. The appliance was expensive and I would have to make my own application to Medicate for some reimbursement. (As I understand it, someone in the office now “helps” people with that process. Forms and correct addresses are needed, depending on where you are a resident.
That summer of 2008, I decided to “go for it” and I cannot tell you how pleased I am! For me, here are my appliance’s assets:
1) It is extremely comfortable since it was made to fit “my mouth and teeth.” I quickly became used to it.
2) I no longer have big strap impressions on my face each morning; there are no longer any sores on my face.
3) My hair is not as “messed up.”
4) I can sleep both on my back and each side, almost as it there is nothing in my mouth.
5) I do take care of it, cleaning it each morning as instructed.
6) Since I live 7 months in Florida, I have it checked each year and this summer it needed to be “smoothed out” in a few places.
With the nasal pillows being held in place by my appliance and distilled water in my machine, I am a very “happy camper!” What a great improvement this is from using a mask!
Ellis of Bonita Springs, FL